January 16, 2009

Weekend Report

With most of my settling in allowance still in the bank, and a green light to travel, what makes you think I wasted last weekend in Pursat? We weren’t having school on Friday anyway, so it seemed like another perfect opportunity to see some of the country. That, and Deidre has the new Bond movie. Friday morning, I hitched a taxi to Battambang, caught a second to Svay, and a third to Preh Net Preah. I hate riding in taxis. They’re all the same: Toyota Camry (post 1980 on a good day). Four passengers up front, which is especially fun if you get the seat straddling the stick shift, four passengers in the back and usually some crazy old lady petting your arm hair. Believe me, I wish I were kidding.

Once I arrived, Deidre and I treated ourselves to a cold Ovaltine and a serious gossip session. On our way to her house, we grabbed a bottle of wine, some crackers and pineapple so we could watch the sunset in style from her roof. It was actually cold that evening - cold being 65 of course - so we ran upstairs after dinner, snuggled in, and got ready for a mini Gossip Girl marathon.


The next day, we got up early and headed out to the orphanage where Deidre volunteers. The facilities are beautiful and it was great to see how happy the kids looked in their element. We headed back for lunch, then met up with a few British volunteers for some light hiking. We climbed up a small mountain to a picturesque temple overlooking the countryside. Because it hasn’t rained in a while, the land is an interesting patchwork of green and tan that reminds me of a quilt my mom made.

That evening, we all got dinner together and watched the Bond movie. Deidre fell asleep 10 minutes in and I lasted about an hour before I started zoning out, but it’s the thought that counts.
Sunday morning, I was prepping to head home when I got a text message from Jason: he was coming to Battambang for the weekend! Since I was heading back through there on my way to Pursat, I decided to stay too. Jason was there with Derek, Kevin and Liz, so we all went out to eat, got some ice cream and grabbed a few drinks at the Gecko Lounge.

Seeing a few K1s was just what I needed to wrap up an already excellent weekend. Being able to talk with someone who has “been there, done that” is always hugely reassuring. Plus, they’re just tons of fun…and they’re leaving soon, so I have to get my fill of them now. Monday, we hit the Sunrise CafĂ© for the usual breakfast sandwich and cinnamon roll before we hired a took-took to take us to a winery in the area. A winery!? Who knew! The wine was surprisingly good, given that grapes aren’t a primary crop in Cambodia.
I finally decided to catch a bus back around 2:00.

The rest of the week has bounced by the way it always does when I’m looking at a four day work week. Although I don’t have any plans for this weekend, a bunch of us are heading to Siem Riep next weekend since we don‘t have school the following Monday. Sense a trend here? You know what they say, good things always come in threes. Phnom Penh, Preh Net Preah and Battambang … next stop: Siem Riep!

No comments: