October 18, 2008

1st Week of Teaching

Father Dunnan, Viviana Nicolosi, English Muller, Linda Guyer, Christina Savinel, Margie Thickstun, Bonnie Krueger, Doran Larson, Stu Hirshfield, Sharon Williams. I owe so much of who I am to these great teachers and mentors. It is, therefore, surprising, that I was not more excited to teach English. I have the utmost respect for great teachers, but I have never felt drawn to teach. Then again, what have I felt drawn to do? Well, that’s a very good question. Good thing I still have two years and lots of time on my hands to think about it, huh? At any rate, after my first week of teaching and observing, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the deep satisfaction of touching students’ lives. My students are the future of Cambodia. They look to their teachers to guide them, lead them, push them, and send them on their way.


A large part of my job is training Khmai teachers to approach their job with passion and conviction to ensure their students have the futures they deserve. This way, my time will not end after two years – but in the sustainable future of the teachers who will continue to touch their students’ lives for years to come. At the same time, I can’t help but notice how much influence I have over the students themselves. I felt nervous as I stepped in front of my first class. Fifty pairs of eyes are a tough crowd…especially when no one brings their book. Apparently, this is a fairly common phenomenon, but quite honestly, the book isn’t very good anyway, so I’m not too worried about it. We spent the first day introducing ourselves and playing a vocabulary game. At the end of the class, I allowed the students to ask me questions about myself and share any feelings or ideas they had about the upcoming year. After the usual onslaught of “Where are you from?” “How old are you?” “How many people are in your family?” and “Are you married yet?” one boy stood up and told me how glad he was to have me here. He told me that no one ever teaches by playing games and that he really likes learning that way. It’s such a small gesture, but I was touched. In each subsequent class I have been in, it seems like one or two students have gone out of their way to reach out for my help.

One of the teachers told me I represent something greater than a textbook. Not me personally, of course, but me as proof of the Western world in a place where the immediate benefit of learning English is not always apparent. Right now, the students are shy. They are used to being taught the same way year after year, with the same book, with the same future in front of them. End of story. I’m not saying my presence will miraculously turn every student into the next Fulbright scholar, but I have the distinct opportunity to show the school there are other ways to do things. The students are bright, but not necessarily encouraged to think critically or be creative. That’s where I think I can help.

Many of the teachers are eager for this change. I hope to show them how a little support goes a long way in the eyes of a student, and how teachers can become role models for their students through my own example. The thought of helping a student get to college or apply to be a translator is thrilling. Their life will be more secure, their family safer and their confidence greater because they dared to do things differently. But before we see change beyond that of a few individuals, each teacher needs to commit to the responsibility of taking one more step farther today than they did yesterday. If I’m being realistic with myself, I know two years in Pursat will not revolutionize the entire education system in Cambodia. I’m just one person. But let’s say three teachers continue fostering leadership in their students through interactive learning once I leave. And let’s say they touch one students’ life in every class they teach from then on. Soon, those students will be the face of education, and they will be leading their students beyond the horizon of progress.

This is the future of Cambodia. And it’s a bright future indeed.


1 comment:

John Gahan said...

I'm glad you've decided to reflect. Peace Corps is into that.